Fiji

We've been in Fiji for 10 days now.  Pulled the canoe out of its storage place under a house, cleaned it up, assembled it and sailed away to where we stay with friends.  The wind has been a relentless 25 knots since we've arrived and since it's July I don't expect it to change.  It has been a good workout and test of the cambered junk rig.  It's quickly reefable to any amount of sail area and the Hong Kong parrels I added this time have improved the sail shape in strong winds.
Because of my constant curiosity about alternate sail rigs, I intend to try something different again for the next trip.  I'll bring a standard balanced lug rig which is similar to the junk but without the battens.  The polytarp I used for the junk rig is nearing the end of its life so I would have to replace it in any case.
So far my wife Rose has caught a Spanish mackerel and a trevalley from the canoe; each of which fed four.
A little over a week to go and then it's back to the NZ winter and fires every night.

Comments

  1. Glad to hear about the continuing good service of the "built on the beach" canoe!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment